Friday, January 20, 2012

My first days as a mum of two - Day 1 (C-Section Day) Part 1

Welcome to our family my beautiful wee Amber!!
I woke up early to have my breakfast before 7am, as required. After that, I showered, shaved, and used the special wash you have to use prior to surgery and made sure I had everything I needed. As I had Gestational Diabetes, I had to go in to Hospital at 9.30am for an insulin infusion. This didn't go so well last time and so I am a little apprehensive about it. 

We get to the hospital, and surprise, surprise, the maternity ward don't know why I am there as no one told them I was coming in early.... So we go for a walk, hubby has a pie (torture as I cannot eat!!) and go back up again. They decide to put me on the monitor for awhile to fill in some time, and HELLO I'm getting some contractions! (As I was pretty sure I was) So I guess baby girl wasn't going to be waiting around a whole lot longer if this wasn't booked for today!!

Anyway, it gets to 12.30, drips are in, monitoring done and I'm in my pretty gown and off we wander to Surgical Admissions. We are only there a few minutes when they say everyone is ready and that we can go through. So I walk (yes WALK, felt like a bloody long walk knowing what I was going to!!) to the operating theatre.

We get to Operating Theatre and I hop straight up on the bed. The local anaesthetic and Spinal injection terrified me last time as my blood sugars dropped to dangerously low immediately following it last time and am sure it will happen again. The injections themselves weren't as bad this time, thank goodness. But soon as I lie down, yep, my blood pressure drops really low (not sure about my sugars this time, no one mentioned), and so they give me something to bring it back up and I hear surgeon ask anaesthetist if he wants him to wait and his answer is "No, just get the baby out", which I think probably scared me just as much!!

I start to come right quickly as I did last time, and they were well on their way by the time I paid attention again. They broke my waters and I heard a really loud POP followed by a whole lot of splashing I didn't hear last time, and then a nurse saying "arrr... we need a towel..." Apparently when my waters went, they REALLY went! Within just a few minutes our beautiful baby girl is pulled into the world!!

Everything went perfectly, and as soon as she was cleaned up and checked over, she was bought to us for our first cuddle. Then my hubby went out to recovery with her while they finished stitching me up and cleaning me up. Apparently it was a good mess as they even needed to change my pillowcase!!!

Off to recovery I went, they weighed Amber and she came in at 7lb 5oz, which is smaller than her big brother at 8lb 8oz.

This is already a long post, so see here for the second half!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, please leave me a message!